Proton Mail BETA v2.0 is finally here! This is by far our biggest update ever. Unlike our other updates, 2.0 is a completely new system, so we will only announce the big changes. There are countless smaller improvements that you need to see for yourself!
If you run into issues with Proton Mail 2.0, the older 1.x version of Proton Mail, is no longer available.
New Features Summary
The new composer has been implemented to allow improved efficiency while using Proton Mail. The composer allows for multiple messages to be under composition at one time. As well as being able to navigate through your inbox while composing a message.
We want Proton Mail to be the easiest email service you have ever used, with that comes customizations. With 2.0, you are now able to rearrange the user interface to your liking, as well as setting images in messages to display by default. This includes switching between the popup and maximized composer modes shown previously.
Logging is an optional feature that offers Proton Mail users the ability to detect suspicious account activity. It provides details into past logins, including the time it occurred in Basic Logging, and the IP address of the login with Advanced Logging. This information will only be logged if turned on by the user. By default, Proton Mail does NOT log.
Version 2.0 Release Notes
- Updated Design – A fresh update on the classic Proton Mail design. Redesigned login, composer window, settings page and message view.
- Drag and drop messages – You can now drag and drop messages from your inbox to the folders and labels in the sidebar to move them.
- Signature Editor – You can now have custom HTML email signatures.
- Contacts Manager – You can now export contacts, and search them quickly.
- Encrypted emails to non-Proton Mail users now also encrypt attachments. Non-Proton Mail users can also reply to these messages and send encrypted attachments as well.
- New Composer – Brand new composer window with 2 modes: Popup and Maximized. You can have multiple popup composer windows open at once and can minimize them.
- PublicKey Export – Download your PublicKey for use in other PGP compatible services – For technical PGP users, you can now export your public key to send to friends and to verify messages manually.
- Authentication logs – You now have the ability to log access attempts to your account for security reasons. This feature is off by default and must be manually turned on.
- Report bugs here: https://proton.me/support
- Many performance enhancements (rewritten in AngularJS)
- Sync across multiple devices (mobile and web)
- Custom themes no longer work. We will bring this back in a future release.
Finally, we’re happy to announce that iOS and Android mobile app beta will begin on August 20th, 2015. We will be making an official announcement soon so check back for updates.