At Proton, we believe you can have digital privacy without sacrificing convenience. This is why we’re always working on ways to optimize your email experience with features such as Attachment Reminders or Undo Send. Today, we’re excited to introduce a new feature: Schedule send!
Schedule send lets you write emails and schedule them to be delivered to your recipient at a later time. You can use Schedule send outside of working hours or during the weekend, ensuring your emails are only delivered at a time that works best for your recipient.
How to schedule an email with Proton Mail
To schedule an email:
- Sign in to your Proton Account on the web(new window).
- Open the email composer and draft your message as usual.
- Select the arrow next to the Send button to select a date and time for the email delivery.
If you’re using Proton Mail for free, you can select a predefined time from the list. If you’re on a Proton Mail paid plan, you can also set a custom time.
To schedule an email from our iPhone app, tap on the clock icon next to the send button.
You can view your scheduled messages in the Scheduled folder.
If you’ve changed your mind about sending an email, open the composer to edit your message and the email will automatically return to your Drafts folder.
Why schedule emails for later?
When sending an email, timing can make the difference between a quick response from your recipient or having your message get lost in a pile. In fact, the best time to send an email is between 9 AM and 3 PM(new window).
Schedule send also lets you reclaim your time by giving you the freedom to work whenever you want. Write emails when details are still fresh in your mind, schedule when you want it to be sent, and forget about it. You’ll no longer need to return to your Drafts folder at a later time to send it.
Here are other scenarios where Schedule send comes in handy:
- Different time zones: You’re a freelancer or a remote worker sending emails to team members in other time zones.
- Working non-traditional hours: You’re a night owl and are more productive at night, but don’t want to disturb coworkers with an email sent outside of working hours.
- Get to the top of your recipient’s inbox: You’re applying for jobs over the weekend and want to ensure your resume gets the most attention on Monday morning.
Start scheduling emails
We’re always looking for new ways to make your inbox more convenient to use, and Schedule send is an additional step toward this goal. This feature is now available to everyone using Proton Mail on the web and on our iPhone app.
While we’re still working on releasing this feature on other platforms, you can already view and cancel scheduled messages on the Android app.
If you’d like to support our mission of building a better internet where privacy is the default, you can create a free Proton Account.