You can change the color scheme (theme) of Proton web apps (Proton Mail, Proton Drive, and Proton Calendar) to one you prefer or find easier to use.
If you prefer dark themes, you can enable dark mode or select a day and night theme that automatically changes based on your device settings.
Themes are available to everyone on Proton Mail, including those on a Proton Free plan.
You can also customize the font and font size, scrollbars, and animations in Proton web apps to suit your preferences or accessibility needs.
How to change themes in Proton web apps
Themes allow you to change the color scheme of your Proton web apps. Currently, you have eight themes to choose from:
- Proton (default)
- Ivory (light high-contrast theme)
- Ebony (dark high-contrast theme)
To change themes:
- Log in to account.proton.me.
- Click Settings → All settings → Appearance → Theme and select the theme you want.
Previously, Proton Mail supported the creation of custom themes using your own CSS theme templates. The current version of Proton web apps doesn’t support this feature, although we may restore it in the future.
How to quickly select a theme
You can also quickly change themes by going to Settings → Theme.
How to enable dark mode in Proton web apps
Proton’s dark mode option is called Carbon. We also have two higher-contrast dark themes called Monokai and Ebony, so you can choose the theme that suits your needs.
You can select one of these three dark themes to be active all the time. Or you can set a day and night theme that will automatically change based on your device settings.
To enable dark mode:
- Log in to your Proton Account at account.proton.me and click Settings → All settings → Appearance.
- Choose a dark theme to be active all the time: Carbon, Monokai, or Ebony.
- If you prefer to automatically switch between a day and night theme, turn on the Synchronize with system switch and select one theme from the Day theme column and one from the Night theme column.
How to customize fonts, scrollbars, and animations
You can adapt how Proton web apps look and feel to suit your needs. You can customize your font and font size, the appearance of scrollbars, and animations.
To do so:
- Log in to your Proton Account at account.proton.me.
- Click Settings → All settings → Appearance, and scroll down to the Accessibility section.
- Select the Font family and Font size you prefer from the dropdown menus.
- Turn on:
- Default scrollbars if you prefer to use your browsers scrollbars, which are typically larger and easier to use
- Disable animations if you want to stop all animations and transitions