Today, we’re introducing Proton Family, our all-in-one plan to protect your family’s privacy.
When you’re a parent, you do everything you can to prepare for the unexpected and keep your family safe. But extending this protection online is difficult unless you’re particularly tech-savvy — until now. The Proton Family plan lets you protect your loved ones by giving them access to all Proton services and premium features. Up to six family members share 3 TB of storage space, and everyone gets their own encrypted email address, calendar, secure storage for their files, and VPN to browse securely.
It’s a great way to quickly improve your family’s digital security and privacy. Proton makes things simple by handling all the encryption automatically in the background.
Protect what matters most with end-to-end encryption
Your online security is only as strong as your weakest link, but it’s not realistic to expect every member of your family to know how to protect their privacy online. That’s where the Proton Family plan comes in. Help them move to Proton, and we’ll take care of keeping their information safe.
By bringing your family together on Proton, you can protect what matters most. Our apps use end-to-end encryption(new window) and zero-access encryption(new window) to ensure no one can access your family’s information, not even Proton, without your permission. All this encryption happens automatically in the background — you simply send your emails or plan your day as you normally would and Proton will handle the rest.
And since Proton is headquartered in Switzerland, your emails, files, events, and browsing history are also protected by strict Swiss privacy laws.
Unlike other “free” service providers that make you pay with your data, you pay Proton to provide you with security and privacy, meaning we’re only incentivized to keep your information safe. Our first and only obligation is to you, your family, and all the members of the Proton community.
Easy-to-use apps that put you first
With support for up to six family members, Proton Family gives you all Proton services starting at €19.99 a month, or €3.33 per user/month for six people. Not only do you protect your family, you also support Proton’s mission to build an open-source, private alternative to Big Tech that advances freedom and puts people first.
Proton Family includes:
- Up to six family members
- 3 TB of storage space to share to start and 20 GB of bonus storage every year
- Proton Mail, Proton Drive, Proton Calendar, and Proton VPN with all their premium features
- Proton Pass, our new password manager
- The paid versions of all new privacy services we release in the future
With your Proton Family plan, enjoy easy-to-use apps that protect your privacy:
- Proton Mail secures your communications. Each family member gets their own encrypted email address, safe from spam, trackers, and phishing attacks.
- Proton Drive protects your memories. Securely store all your family’s photos and documents and make them accessible from anywhere, anytime.
- Proton VPN lets you browse safer and stream faster. Connect to our high-speed VPN servers to stream your favorite shows from anywhere and protect your family from privacy-invading ads, malware, and harmful websites.
- Proton Calendar helps you stay organized. Stay on top of your schedule with shared calendars. Keep your plans private so only you and your family can see them.
- Coming soon: Proton Pass keeps your accounts in one safe place. Create and store secure login details with our brand new password manager.
Get started with Proton Family
Getting started with the Proton Family plan is straightforward:
- Sign up for Proton Family, or upgrade your existing plan.
- If your family members are not yet using Proton, have them sign up for a free account.
- Bring the family together by sending them an invite.
Our Easy Switch tool will help your family effortlessly move your existing emails, calendars, and contacts from Gmail and other providers, so you can all make the jump to Proton in just a couple of clicks.
Start enjoying the benefits of the Proton Family plan today. If you change your mind, you can always switch back to an individual account without losing your data.
If you’re on our Proton Visionary plan, you already have access to all the benefits of the Proton Family plan and more.
Make online security easy for the whole family
Proton Family helps you get your family up to speed on digital security best practices:
- With encrypted backups of important files accessible from anywhere, you’ll never have to worry about losing data again.
- Let your kids or parents browse the web knowing that Proton VPN’s NetShield Ad-blocker(new window) will automatically block malicious websites.
- Stay protected from malware and identity theft with an inbox that warns you of potential phishing attempts (and often blocks them entirely).
By signing up for the Proton Family plan, you help your family protect their memories, plans, and communications from Big Tech and government surveillance. Proton gives your entire family control over their personal information, meaning you have one less thing to worry about.
You can learn more about how to get started with the Proton Family plan in our Support section.
Frequently asked questions
How can I get Proton Family?
- If you already have an individual Proton Account, you can switch to Proton Family in your account dashboard.
- If you don’t have a Proton Account, you can purchase the Proton Family plan.
What’s included in the Proton Family plan?
Up to six family members share 3 TB of storage space. Everyone gets their own account that includes access to all the premium features in Proton Mail, Proton Drive, Proton Calendar, and Proton VPN.
Who can I invite to my Proton Family plan?
You can have up to six members in total on your Proton Family plan. All they need to join is a Proton Account. If they don’t already have one set up, they can easily create one for free.
Do I need to have a custom email domain to get Proton Family?
No, you don’t. The Proton Family plan supports up to three custom email domains, but you don’t need a custom domain to invite family members.
How does storage space work?
Proton Family provides 3 TB of storage space to share between family members. When you sign up, you’ll be prompted to allocate storage space to each account. If your needs change, you can always adjust later how much storage each account has.
Can the other members of my Proton Family plan see my emails, files, or calendar events?
Each member of your Proton Family plan has their own separate account. Their emails, files, and events remain encrypted with their private key. As a result, you can’t see other family members’ data unless they choose to share it with you (for example, by sharing files with you in Proton Drive or by sharing their calendar).
Can I leave a Proton Family plan?
Family members can opt out of a Proton Family plan at any time. If you leave the plan, your account will be downgraded to a 30-day trial of our Proton Unlimited plan. You’ll keep all your files and folders but will lose access to the features and storage space of Proton Family.
What happens to my paid subscription when I join a Proton family group?
When you accept an invitation to join a Proton family group, we credit you the remaining months of your current subscription.
I’m on the Proton Visionary plan. Should I switch to the new Proton Family plan?
If you’re on our Proton Visionary plan, you already have access to all the benefits of Proton Family and more. Similarly to the Proton Family plan, inviting family members is now easier than ever on Proton Visionary. You can do so from your account dashboard. Previously, this required a custom email domain, but this is no longer necessary.
So you can share Proton’s privacy and security with your family and keep your Proton Visionary plan. You’ll continue to enjoy your Visionary-exclusive benefits, including 6 TB of storage, early access to Proton products and features, and more.
How can I get access to Proton Pass?
Proton Pass will be available in the coming weeks to all users, including Proton Family subscribers. We’ll let you know more as we approach its release.