Using 1Password with Proton Mail
1Password is a paid-for, end-to-end encrypted password manager service that offers a closed-source hosted password solution. In this guide, we provide step-by-step instructions for using 1Password to log in to your Proton Mail account.
1Password offers apps for Windows, macOS, and Linux (DEB and RPM). However, the only way to autofill passwords in a desktop browser is by using a browser extension.
1. Install the browser extension for your browser(new window) and sign in to 1Password.
2. Visit account.proton.me(new window) and enter your Proton Mail login details. A pop-up notice will appear, asking if you want to save the password in your 1Password vault, Click Save in 1Password to continue.
3. Confirm that the username and password are correct, then click Save.
4. When visiting account.proton.me(new window) you can auto-fill the login details by clicking on the 1Password icon in the Chrome toolbar (which may be hidden inside the Extensions menu) → Proton Mail → Autofill.
iOS and iPadOS
1. Sign up for a 1Password account on the 1Password website (if you haven’t already), install the 1Password app, and log in using your existing 1Password credentials.
2. Follow the instructions to enable the iOS AutoFill for 1Password. We also recommend enabling Unlock with Touch ID for ease of use.
3. Open the Proton Mail app. On the login page, tap Passwords.
4. Tap Create Login.
5. Enter your Proton Mail username and password, and use account.proton.me for the web address. Tap Save & Fill when you are ready.
5. The app will now open, and your login details autofilled. Simply tap Sign in to proceed.
6. In future, tap Passwords at the login screen and select Proton Mail from your list of saved login details. Your login details will be autofilled into the Proton Mail app. Simply tap Sign in to proceed.
Note that it is not possible to take screenshots of 1Password in Android due to a security policy.
1. Sign up for a 1Password account on the 1Password website (if you haven’t already), install the 1Password app, and log in using your existing 1Password login details.
2. You will be prompted to enable the following Android services. We recommend that you do this.
- Biometric Unlock
3. Click the + icon at the bottom right of the screen → and Select Category → Login.
4. Enter your Proton Mail username and password, and use https://account.proton.me for the web address. Tap Save when you are ready.
5. Open the Proton Mail app, tap inside the Email or username field, and select Autofill with 1Password.
6. Search 1Password → and tap the Proton Mail entry you just created. 1Password will now auto-fill your login details.