Proton Mail Bridge(new window) is an open-source application that allows you to fully integrate your Proton Mail account with any program that supports IMAP and SMTP. This includes Microsoft Outlook, Mozilla Thunderbird, and Apple Mail.
It runs in the background on your computer and seamlessly encrypts and decrypts your email as it enters and leaves your computer.
Once you’ve installed and added your account(s) to Proton Mail Bridge, you will need to configure your email client. Proton Mail Bridge works with most email clients and applications that support IMAP / SMTP connections.
In this guide, we provide step-by-step instructions for configuring Apple Mail for use with Proton Mail Bridge on your Mac. Watch our video guide, or follow the step-by-step instructions below.
How to set up Apple Mail for use with Proton Mail Bridge
1. Open the configured Proton Bridge app and go to Email clients → Configure.
2. Under Choose an email client, select Apple Mail → Configure automatically.
2. This opens System Preferences. Select your Proton Mail profile and click Install…
3. Click Continue to verify that you want to import this profile.
4. Enter an Account Description and a Full Name to identify your account. Click Install when you’re ready.
5. Apple Mail will now download your emails.
You can now use Apple Mail with Proton Mail Bridge.
1. Using Mail’s built-in spam filters in addition to using Proton Mail’s spam filters provides additional spam filtering that uses the body of your messages to help detect spam. Any spam senders detected in this way will be added to your Proton Mail blacklist.
Mail’s built-in spam filters are disabled by default. You can Enable junk mail filtering by going to Mail (in the menu bar) → Preferences… → Junk Mail tab.
2. In separate addresses mode, every IMAP account you set up with Proton Mail Bridge is address-specific and will only be able to send/receive emails from the address it is set up with.
You can add any number of addresses to Apple Mail, but wait for one address to download before adding another.
In combined addresses mode, you can select which address to send an email from.