Proton Mail Bridge usually updates automatically when updates are released and restarts with the new version the next time you launch it. But in some cases, the app might not be able to update automatically.
You’ll then need to manually update it to ensure you’re using the latest version. Here we explain how to manually update Proton Mail Bridge.
How to update Proton Mail Bridge
To update Proton Mail Bridge to the latest version, you’ll need to:
- Remove the existing application from your device
- Download the new version from our website
- Install the new version
When you update, your settings and configurations are usually retained, so in most cases, you won’t need to reconfigure Bridge.
- Download Proton Mail Bridge for Windows.
- Click the Start menu, and search for Add or remove programs in the search box.
- In the panel that opens, search for “bridge”, select Proton Mail Bridge, and click Uninstall.
- In the window that opens, click the red Remove button to remove Proton Mail Bridge.
- Open the Bridge-Installer.exe file you downloaded before, and follow the instructions in the setup wizard to install.
- Download Proton Mail Bridge for macOS.
- Click the Bridge (padlock) tray icon at the top-right of your screen, and select Quit Bridge.
- Open your Applications folder, and move the Proton Mail Bridge application to the Trash.
- Open the Bridge-Installer.dmg file you downloaded before, and follow the instructions to install Proton: move the Bridge application from the left side to the Applications folder on the right side.
The procedure to update Proton Mail Bridge on Linux can differ depending on your Linux distribution, how you’ve installed the package, and the package manager you ’re using.
If you have a graphical user interface, you can use that to find Proton Mail Bridge and remove it. Then reinstall it again following our instructions depending on your type of installation:
- DEB: https://proton.me/support/installing-bridge-linux-deb-file
- PKGBUILD: https://proton.me/support/install-bridge-linux-pkgbuild-file
- RPM: https://proton.me/support/install-bridge-linux-rpm-file
If you need further help reinstalling Proton Mail Bridge, feel free to contact us and let us know:
- The Linux distribution you’re using
- How you installed Bridge
We’ll be happy to help.
What to do after updating
Once you’ve updated Proton Mail Bridge, open it again, and it should work as before.
You might notice accounts being resynchronized to bring them up to date with the newest improvements in the app, depending on the version you’re updating from.