Help us improve Proton apps
At Proton, we’re committed to building privacy-focused products that are convenient and easy to use. This means we’re always looking at ways to improve our apps and services, and understanding how you use our products is an essential part of that goal.
One way to achieve this is by collecting usage statistics from the Proton community. Most Proton apps share usage statistics by default, including Proton Mail, Proton Drive, Proton Calendar, and Bridge.
You must opt in to share usage statistics with Proton VPN(new window), which you can do from the Proton VPN app.
Note: Usage statistics are anonymous and cannot be used to identify you or your activity. You can also stop sharing your usage statistics at any time.
What are usage statistics?
Usage statistics (also known as telemetry data) are data points that help our development team understand how Proton apps interact with your device, internet service providers, firewalls, and other censorship systems.
This data doesn’t contain any personal information and is permanently deleted after 30 days.
What statistics are shared?
If you agree to share your usage statistics, here are some examples of what that will include:
- Performance data: Performance data helps us understand how well our apps run on user devices, allowing us to further optimize and improve our services.
- Use patterns: By understanding how users interact with our apps, we can determine if features are useful for you and if our apps are easy to use. It also allows us to finetune the user experience and gain insights into how we can further improve the functionality of our apps.
You can also read about the usage statistics shared with Proton VPN(new window).
Why do we collect usage statistics?
Usage statistics give us a better understanding of how our products are used and what challenges we need to overcome to build a better, safer internet.
By analyzing how our apps are used, our engineers can determine which bugs to fix and detect system outages. These statistics also help our development teams make our services easier to use by highlighting design flaws, confusing instructions, and potential new features that might improve your experience using Proton apps.
The data we collect is anonymous, and we aggregate it before observing changes and trends.
Your privacy comes first
We’re committed to respecting your online security and privacy. Sharing usage statistics will always be:
- Anonymous: Usage data does not contain your IP address and cannot be used to identify you.
- Limited to Proton apps: Usage data cannot be used to track the websites you visit or your activity in any other apps.
- Optional: You can opt out at any time.
Usage statistics are permanently deleted after 30 days.
How do I stop sharing anonymous usage statistics?
You can stop sharing anonymous usage statistics at any time.
- Sign in to your Proton Account on our web app.
- Select Settings → Go to Settings → Security and privacy → Privacy and data collection.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and turn off the Collect usage diagnostics toggle. By turning this switch off, you will stop sharing your usage statistics from all Proton services.
Note: The Proton VPN app has app-level controls. If you don’t want to share usage statistics from Proton VPN, you can turn off Usage statistics in the Proton VPN app without affecting other services.
However, you cannot share usage statistics from Proton VPN unless you have enabled Collect usage diagnostics in your Proton Account.