Proton Mail offers premium services(new window) on a subscription basis. Subscription services will commence immediately upon payment. Each account has the option to be billed on a monthly, 1-year, or 2-year basis. Per your accounts arrangement, your account will become delinquent if no payment is received when billed. This may take place if you do not have automatic billing selected.
If your subscription bill remains unpaid 14 days from the date it was issued, you will be restricted from accessing your data within Proton services until your bill is paid.
If your subscription bill remains unpaid 30 days from the date it was issued, your account will no longer accept incoming mail until your bill is paid. Please note that billing continues even if your account has not been paid.
Upon becoming delinquent, you will receive an invoice notifying you of the delinquency and the total invoice due to regain access to your account. You will also see a notification banner on the top of your screen when you log in to your Proton Account.
How to find and pay your unpaid invoices
1. On a computer, log in to your Proton Account at account.proton.me and click Settings → All settings → Dashboard and scroll down to Invoices. Any unpaid invoices will be marked Unpaid.
2. Find the invoice you want to pay and click the Pay button in the invoice’s Action column. To regain access to your account’s data, you will be required to pay the totality of the existing bill.
3. Enter your payment details in the pop-up window and click Pay to complete your payment.
The amount of time it takes for an invoice to be paid after sending the payment can vary depending on the payment method.
How to prevent your account from becoming delinquent
To ensure your account does not become delinquent, we suggest you turn on automatic billing using a valid credit card. In addition, we encourage you to ensure you keep the credit card information up to date as incorrect expiration dates will also prevent payment processing.
- On a computer, log in to your Proton Account at account.proton.me and click Settings → All settings → Dashboard and scroll down to Payment methods.
- You can choose to Add credit / debit card or Add PayPal as automatic payment options.
- If you select Add credit / debit card, you will need to fill in your card’s details
- If you select Add PayPal, a pop-up window will appear asking you if you want to use PayPal to pay for your subscription. To proceed, click Add PayPal.
- You will then need to log in to your PayPal account and set up a billing agreement for recurring payment.