How to change your Proton password
This article explains how to change your Proton password for any reason when you know your password.
If you need to reset your password because you’ve forgotten or lost it, see how to reset(new window) your password.
If you know your password and want to change it:
1. Go to Settings → Go to settings → Account and password and then click Change password.
2. Enter your old password in the Old password field.
3. Enter your new password in the New password and Confirm new password fields and click Save.
Important tips to avoid losing your password
We strongly recommend following these tips when setting a new password:
- Write your new password down or save it to a document. Do not rely only on a password manager to save it.
- After you enter your new password, click the show (eye) icon at the right of the password field so that you can verify you have typed it correctly.
- If you copy and paste your password into the password field, make sure you have copied the entire password and that there are no extra spaces at the end. Due to the possibility of copy/paste errors, we do not recommend copying and pasting your password during the change password process.
Creating a strong password
To keep your account safe, here are a few tips on how to create a strong password:
- Use a different password for each of your important accounts (for example, your online banking and email accounts). Using the same password for each of your online accounts is like using the same key to lock your home, car, and office — if a criminal gains access to one, they can break into all of them.
- Use a mix of letters, numbers, and symbols in your passwords.
- Try using a phrase that only you know, for example, “My friends Tom and Jasmine send me a funny email once a day”, and then use numbers and letters to recreate it: “MfT&Jsmafe1ad” is a password with lots of variations.